+2 - 0  by /0 comments

Alumna Named Chaplain

The Reverend Megan Davidson ’06 has been named Southwestern’s new Chaplain and Director of Spiritual and Religious Life, effective Jan. 1, 2015.

After graduating cum laude from Southwestern with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, Davidson earned a Master of Divinity in 2010, magna cum laude, from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University. She then spent several years as Executive Director for the TCU Wesley Foundation, where she implemented and managed campus programs of worship, mission, discipleship and outreach, and provided pastoral care and guidance to students.

Davidson feels spiritually prepared for her role at Southwestern. “God has grown me into someone who can come back to my alma mater and feel like I’m home, but with the ability to have a very different voice and impact.” She is excited for her new role in large part because she feels strongly that Southwestern is “an institution that values family, which makes it an organization I want to serve.”

Once on campus, her hope is to help cultivate a healthy sense of how one’s spiritual life fits into their liberal arts education and their journey toward intellectual development. But first, she says, “The posture I take will be one of observation and listening. And, because I have a collaborative spirit, I’ll be looking for opportunities to work with others across campus relationally and programmatically.”

“I want to help people recognize their gifts and how they can use them to serve God in the world.”Megan Davidson '06

Davidson says she is interested in the mentoring and discipleship of students by peers, herself and others within the community, and in calling out people’s gifts. “I want to help people recognize their gifts and how they can use them to serve God in the world.”

As a Southwestern student, Davidson says a culture of care developed within her intimate group of friends. “As Chaplain, I want to try to foster an environment like that, which has an impact on both students and the campus as a whole,” she says. Davidson will also work with students to plan and lead weekly programming in Lois Perkins Chapel, and says, “I am particularly excited about working with energized students to bring new life to the spiritual community on campus.”

Although she believes that her closeness in age to current students will make it easy for them to relate to her, Davidson also knows that she has had a lot of life experience since graduating and that she has some wisdom to impart. “I believe I can do that in a relational and relatable way that will serve students well and help to form deep relationships that create life change.”

President Edward Burger says of Davidson’s appointment, “This is a unique opportunity in which one of our own graduates returns to engage with students, faculty and staff. I’m confident that Megan’s faithfulness, openness, compassion, and nurturing and supportive nature will enrich our campus community in profound ways.”

Story by Kristina Moore

Photography by Carlos Barron Jr. ’10

+ 2 - 0

Post comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *